Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Wah Mee Massacre doors

Photo from here

For the last year and a half I lived in Seattle, I lived at 6th and Yesler.  It's prime real-estate in my mind because the rent's cheap, the view's great, and it's smack-dab in between Pioneer Square, International District, Capitol Hill, and Down Town Seattle (technically, it's downtown).  I personally loved it, more than anything, because it was almost right next door to my new favorite tattoo place, Tiger Tiger Tattoo, and right next door to an endless supply of excellent late-night Chinese food.

My boyfriend and I tried almost every restaurant in Int'l Dist, repeatedly cutting down ally ways and weaving in and out of all of the streets.  Several times we passed these doors, and it always gave me a creeped out feeling.  I also noticed very few "locals" would stand in the doorway, and a lot of people specifically made sure not to look at it.  I made up small stories in my head of bad juju or a ghost, but never really thought to look into it.

When I moved back to CA, I finally heard about the Wah Mee Massacre, to date still Washington State's worst mass murder (and I hope it stays that way for at least a few more decades).

Long story short; back on February 18th, 1983, three gangsters gunned down fourteen people gambling at an illegal club, only one of which survived and went on to later identify them.  I've heard several stories about why they did it, ranging from debt to gang rivalry to general assholeness. 

Whatever the reason, the three involved, Tony Ng, Benjamin Ng, and Willie Mac, were eventually caught and sent to jail, Tony Ng for 13 counts of robbery with a minimum of 5 years for each count to be served consecutively, Willie Mac was sentenced to death but his sentence reduced to life in prison (or pushed up to life in prison, if you ask me), and Benjamin Ng to life in prison.

If you're ever in the area, walking in Maynard Alley, pay a little tribute of reverent curiosity to the silent doors to your left... 

Just don't stare for too long.


No comments:

Post a Comment