Sunday, April 22, 2012

Honeymoon tips

Photo from here



I recently went to the wedding of a neighbor-friend; He'd been friends with my family, especially my brother, since he was about 10-12 and Sam (my brother) was about 8-10.  For the last 7 years or so we kept hearing about this girl named Christine and all of these wonderful things about it, and finally, they decided to tie the knot.  And I know this is overly sappy of me to say, but they are a wonderful couple and I wish them the best in life.


Now, to the post: At the reception as the Bride and Groom were going around to the tables and thanking everyone for attending, the Bride mentioned that they were going to Seattle for a few days after they camped in the Orcas Islands, and a few other locations...of coarse, they were speaking my language.  I mentioned that I'd lived in Seattle for 3 years and gave them a few ideas for places to visit (they had the clever idea of leaving little booklets at the tables to write tips and advice for a happy marriage in, so I left a few locations).

Of coarse, as soon as I get home, a million ideas came swimming into my mind.  Specifically, ideas for a newly married couple that had never been to Seattle that had a love for sea food and nature.

So here it is; the list I wish I had prepared for them.


1. Check out the Waterfall park in pioneer square.  Grab take-out from Salumie's and afterwards run around and check out the lovely architecture.  Be sure to check out the Seattle Aquarium, about a 15 minute walk along the "shore" from Pioneer square (at most).

2. Make a small half-day trip to University of Washington's Seattle campus.  Just pack a small snack and a filled water bottle and camera and take some lovely photos.  If you go around this time of year (spring/summer time), you'll find so many of the trees and flowers in blossom, it'll be impossible to have a bad photo.  After, head to University Way for some nice shopping and eating.

3. Seward park.  Actually, you may want to go here first to get your Nature on!  It's one of the few sections of Seattle that still has old-growth forest.  Ask locals about the Bald Eagle nest, and consider renting a Kayak or stand-board and exploring the banks a little more.  Again, no such thing as a bad photo op.

4. Do the Downtown tourist thing.  Check out Cherry Street Coffee House for some excellent coffee and Gravlox (Salmon Lox).  Afterwards, head along 1st ave to Pike place and spend a little time running around there.  Don't miss the french bakery or Piroshki Piroshki.  Afterwards, head to 3rd and pine and do a little of non-local shopping (yeah, you read me), or head on up to Capitol Hill and spend some time along Broadway admiring all the colorful characters you'll meet.


5. West Seattle.  Definably go now when the water taxi is still free to use to get to Alki beach (genius idea for tourists) and MAYBE dip your feet in the water (may want to check the water quality before you swim in it), afterwards head to Alaska Junction and have supper at the Indian restaurant and check out the Husky deli for some excellent ice cream.


I could come up with a million other ideas, but for the couple I have in mind, I wish I had given them this list...

No comments:

Post a Comment