Friday, May 11, 2012

Seattle Central Community College: decaying institution of education


Photo from here.  This is the front of the main building, on the corner of Pine and Broadway.

In Seattle, I finally went from taking my education for granted to becoming engaged in my education and where it was going to lead me.  So when I found out the best school I could go to was Seattle Central Community College (SCCC), located almost right next Seattle University (my work), I was thrilled.  I'd read article after post after decree that SCCC was the best Community College in Washington State, with higher success rates, better programs, better professors, and better funding than any other.

What I didn't take into consideration when this was read, was how truly awful the general state of CC was in Washington...


Most of the praises I'd read were before 2007.  In 2007, it genuinely was the best school in WA.  By 2008 when I arrived, everything had dipped.  Essential classes were cut from 4 or 5 offered every quarter to 1 every other.  Overcrowding was an issue.  Every room in the main building had mold, leaks, or other structural issues.  Students couldn't used the balconies because they were so unstable, we were actually told by the janitors that they could fall down (Oh heck!).  One particular school official was remove in 2010 for monetary issues (embezzlement or mismanagement), but not much was heard about it (I won't discuss it here because I don't know all the details, just what I was told by some school officials).

Despite the title of this post, and all of the things I listed above, the school had a lot of redeeming qualities; teachers who, despite the issues were overly dedicated to their work (including Ms. Jewel, Mr. Niebler, Ms. Wendy Rockhill, Mr. Pete Knutson, a lot more that I can't remember). 

If it hadn't been for the help offered to be by my professors regarding almost everything, from counseling (academic) to help with my assignments, to the occasional professor willing to listen to an idea for a career and offer feed back, I'd be completely lost in the school system. 

With this rant still festering, let me take the time for a few more rules when dealing with SCCC

Rule #1: Do not speak to the councilors at SCCC and expect them to be knowledgeable about what they're talking about.  Unfortunately you'll have to speak to these councilors at least once while your there.  Before you go, research your questions and concerns as much as possible, and be willing to speak to two councilors (An SCCC councilor and a transfer councilor) to get a clear, accurate answer.

Rule #2: Do not expect the clubs to be overly active.  A lot of the clubs on campus aren't actually very active, particularly because (from my own experience) Seattleites don't seem to really know how to work together on issues or projects, or how to be assertive about their goals.  If you do become active in a club, be willing to do most of the work yourself. If you become lucky, like I was, you'll end up working with some of the few really driven students on campus.

Rule #3: Do not eat in the cafeteria. trust me; I worked in food service for 3 years, I can tell an unhygienic kitchen from a hygienic one, and that particular kitchen was not hygienic.

Rule #4: DO eat at the schools restaurant.  The school's culinary program is EXCELLENT, and provide themselves on sustainability, quality, and precision.  What's more, their kitchen is cleaner, the food is better, and you can't beat the price; I bought a full-priced salad for $2.50, and a full sized pasta for $4. 

Rule #5: Do go to the 5th floor of the main building.  The view from the 5th floor is spectacular, and the 5th floor balcony is the only balcony not falling apart, offering more opportunities for a better view.

Rule #6: Do not use the restrooms unless you must.  Between 2008-2011, the same three toilets were out of order.  By the time I left, they'd just begun to fix them.  General quality of the rest rooms was pretty bad.

Rule #7: Do Check out the green house.  It's a little difficult to find, but ask someone the way to Mama Mia's Pizza, then head down the neighborhood towards the parking structure.  It's hidden just behind there.  You'll be amazed at the prices for their plants (VERY affordable) and the projects they having going on there.


Photo from here, the blog for SCCC's Plant Sciences Laboratory.

No comments:

Post a Comment