Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My little pig book: Salumi's

I recently found my little pig book of Seattle.  (see above)

While living there I bought this book from Elliot Bay Book Company, and ended up turning into a "places to go" book, where I wrote notes about the best spots to take guests to, the best coffee places, places that sold specific hard-to-find supplies for henna or such, and so on.  Most of them are places that I frequented or that guests always asked me about.

I figured there's no better place to share this book than here.

So here's the (ironically fitting) first entry: Salumi's in Seattle's Pioneer Square.

In short:  309 3rd Ave S
               206. 223. 0817.
               Tuesdays-Fridays 11-3:30
               *It's all good, but if it's nice outside, go to waterfall park (@ 219 2nd ave Along Main St).

WARNING: If you're vegetarian (like me) or Vegan, just skip this entry.  Unfortunately there's nothing for you here except some excellent cheese...
Photo from here.

photo from here.

Salumi's located on the corner of 3rd Ave, Main St, and the extension of 2nd Ave is a Seattle culinary hot spot.  There aren't too many culinary things Seattle does well in particular, but Gravlax, Espresso/Cafe, Sourdough bread, and Salumi's are a different story.

If I understand the Salumi story correctly, Salumi's was the hatched-retirement-nest-egg of a retired Boeing employee, Armandino Batali, who is also the father of renowned Seattle Chef Mario Batali.  After a 30-year run with Boeing, he went back to Italy to study that art of curing meats and, might I say, he did everything correctly.  The beauty of Salumi's is that it's all made in house, and it truly is a form of art; the consistency and flavor is just remarkable.


Photo from here.  This is how I know Salumi's.

If you're in Seattle for more than a couple of days, be sure to come here at least twice.  The first time, you really ought to try their sampler plate.  It's not the best thing on the menu, but it's a good introduction to the wonderful world of Salumis, and you'll get an idea of the variety of flavor available. 
The second time you come, ask the server what they suggest, and get that.  Trust me, they know what they're talking about.  If someone can work at a place and recommend a sandwich that hasn't gotten old yet, it's gotta be good.

Unfortunately, Salumi's (while I still lived there) had weird hours, so if family or friends are visiting and this is a must-see spot (nothing wrong with loving food this much), then make sure you put a whole day aside dedicated to Salumi's.  The last time I checked, their hours and days were Tuesday through Friday, 11-3:30.  It may not seem like a lot of time, because it isn't.  And there have been many days when they've had to close early because all of the product sold before closing time.

I wish I was kidding.  This place is just that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment