Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Seattle and the cafe


(You don't entirely know what this is, but you know you want it...photo found here.)



Since moving back to California, all of my friends and family have asked me at some point "Where can you find the best cup of coffee in Seattle?"

There is some merit to the idea that Seattle is a coffee-lovers Mecca.  I've read from various sites (including here and here) that Seattle has more coffee stores per 100,000 citizens than any other place in the US.  And even counting out all of the Starschmucks and Seattle's Beast you'll find about the city (primarily down town), you'll find hundereds of thriving cafes throughout the city, including 2 of my personal favorite that I'll be focusing on today; Cherry Street Coffee House, which has three downtown locations, and Macrina Bakery and Cafe, which I think has three locations in Seattle (though I'm not sure where).



















MACRINA

Lets start with the second one first, because my admiration and love for Macrina is based off of one weird point, that being their training.  Photo retrieved from here.

I love consistancy in my coffee, and hate getting the same drink 5 different ways from the same cafe.  This is the first sign of a new barista or shitty training.  I want to be able to anticipate how much cream, what flavor of creamer, what flavor or syrup, and what roast of espresso bean I'll be getting.

After that rant, here is why I love Macrina's: When you work are Macrina's, they do not let you touch the coffee machine, no matter how thoroughly trained you are and how much experience you may have...until you've worked for them for at least 2 years.  Then they slowly begin to train you.  And they over-haul you're whole understanding of barista work.  They are so committed to consistancy and excellence that they want to know your dedication to the workplace and the art before you even start making coffee.  (Disclaimer; I only know this from an article I'm having a hard time locating, so there is a distinct possibility I have the wrong place).

Even if they didn't train like this, the coffee is always excellent; they use the best of the best, provide the most Seattle-proper service (pleasant but not in the way), and the food they serve is guarenteed to be excellent. 

One word of warning; they have odd seating arrangements.  One time I went, I had just had a couple of blood tests and hadn't eaten yet, so I was light headed.  I walked in, ordered a coffee, and then proceeded to one of the seats in the cafe.  A couple of baristas looked at me, then at each other confusedly, and finally one of them came over politly and asked if she could help me, and I said, "no thanks, I've already ordered." 

"Well, I would be happy to seat you at the counter; seats are reserved for sit-down service."

ooops...I appologized and walked to the counter with my head held low.















Cherry Street Coffee House

Now, the favorite of mine; Cheery Steet Coffee House.  Photo from here.

First off, each one is a staple of the local community; they feature local artists work.  And each one has a bit of a different theme, my personal favorite being the Art Nouveau theme in the one on Third and James.  The photo above is of the 1st Ave and Seneca location, right next to the off ramp (I used to take from West Seattle). 

Second off, the coffee is great; you can count on quality and consistency every time. 

Third, the service is great; not nearly as snoody (you read me) as most cafes.





But fourth, and most importantly, the main reason I love CSCH...is the Salmon Garvalox...photo from here.

I cannot begin to tell you how perfect this lox is.  I am a pescatarian, partaking occasionally in sea-food/fish item when feeling a little weak, but there is nothing in the world I crave as much as the salmon Lox at CSCH.  It would be my last meal, just a pound of the gravalox.  It's made in-house, the employees are knowledgeable about good quality and sustainable salmon, and you will want to pay the extra $4 for a double serving of lox...it's completely worth it.

I know someone is going to read this and say "you love CSCH because of Salmon Lox?"  No, I love CSCH for it's coffee, service, AND salmon Lox.

And now I'm hungry...

Caffe Vita

I didn't mention this before, but for those of you in town who simply want a damn good cup of coffee with great ambiance and who happen to be on capitol hill, check out Cafe Vita.  That was my favorite place other than CSCH (closer too, I passed by it on a daily basis), becasue the staff were knowledgeable about the food and coffee, their selection was excellent, and I have many good memories of studying and working at CV on the second floor in the corner by the window.  Just an excellent atmosphere.

If you do go, set aside $16 for the OJI cup of coffee (photo below, retrieved from here)


I contacted Caffe Vita to retrieve a little more information on this method, and Ms. K wrote back for me,

"It is simply a cold water drip method, 43 drips per minute. It is filtered, so coupled with the cold brew process, the coffee comes out very sweet and smooth.It is not an "espresso" style … we just serve small portions ofit because it takes so long to brew. You could probably get a more concentratedproduct by increasing the amount of ground coffee you use, but we serve it fullstrength here. "

I'm going to take this time to start listing rules for when in Seattle.  Below are some of the rules for coffee drinking.




Rule #1: When in Seattle, don't drink coffee from the corner market or from a starschmucks or Seattle's Beast.  Get it from the ma-and-pop cafe.  Try them all.

Rule #2: Don't forget your reusable coffee mug.

Rule #3: pay attention to the coffee brewing machine; do the baristas do all of the work?  Do they push a couple of buttons and stop at that?  When you see someone with fully-manual machines, tip better!

No comments:

Post a Comment