Sunday, March 11, 2012

Introduction

Above is a view towards Down Town from Yesler, between 6th Ave and Broadway.  The Trees in the foreground are part of the landscape for Harbor View Medical Center, and the area in which I was standing when I took this photo is a place called Yesler Terrance.

This isn't a particularly interesting and pretty photo, so why post it?  This is a section of Seattle most people don't think of. 

When people think of Seattle, there are a series of almost-stereotypes that come to mind: coffee, cafes, grunge music, the Space Needle, rain, Pike Place Market, the Moore Theatre (sometimes), and suicide. 

People don't think of the urban-farm movement, the two down-town incinerators, the beauty of Ballard or Bell Town, the UW Campus (about 100 years old or so, in some sections),  water fall park, the wonderful and blooming body modification scene, the well established tattoo movement, Alaska Junction in West Seattle, the vast pollution of the sound, Gay-Rights activism on Capitol Hill, or the sad state of Seattle Central Community College.

I could list so much more, but I'm sure you stopped reading at Waterfall Park.

I move back to California to live with my parents after having lived in Seattle for three years with my (now) ex-boyfriend of 8 years.  I'm working on my BA, eventual MA, in comparative religious studies with a double major in Islamic and Jewish studies at a CSU.  While I was living in Seattle, I figured I couldn't afford to work 6 days a week (I did for 2 years) and go to school 5 days a week at a university on the salary I was making, so my parents invited me back for the billionth time and I finally said yes. 

I don't regret the decission, but I wish I'd said no.  There isn't a day I don't think of Seattle and the wonderful friends (coworkers, how sad is that?) I left behind.

But I learned a hell of a lot of lessons in Seattle.  My main goal, if you don't learn something from me, is to instill in you some hope to see Seattle for yourself someday.  You won't regret it. 

Unless you're mugged...
Above is a view from the Danny Woo Gardens that I lived next to.  This view is towards the Amazon Head Quarters (red-squareish building in the top left area), and featuring the only nice apartments in Seattle's International District, better known as Seattle's China Town (or as Seattlites call it, international district...they're very PC that way...).  The Gardens were a series of terraces leading from 6th-ave elevation to James St 1st-ave elevation.